Students with diagnosed learning disabilities or students experiencing general academic difficulties may benefit from the program. The CAA is not an alternative curriculum, but an academic support service to assist students in meeting the goals of the Tilton curriculum.
The CAA is staffed with faculty to help students recognize and challenge ineffective study habits by developing skills appropriate to their learning style. CAA teachers help students develop skills in such areas as time management, organization, listening, note taking, reading comprehension, writing and test skill strategies. In addition to these skills, the mathematics tutors offer minimal remediation in basic math skills. CAA teachers strive to encourage students to become independent thinkers and advocates for their education.
Sessions are scheduled throughout the academic day as part of the student’s daily schedule. The Center is not a study hall, but school assignments and projects often provide the focus and starting point for skill development and confidence building. Attendance is required.
Student enrollment in the CAA is based on the recommendation of parents, teachers, advisors, the Academic Dean, the Admissions Committee and the Director of The Center for Academic Achievement. There is frequent communication between CAA teachers, advisors and parents. Written comments on student progress are mailed to parents each term. The additional fee for The Center for Academic Achievement services is determined by the number and type of learning sessions provided. All CAA fees provide for the following standard services:
- Individualized scheduling
- Student groupings if needed by similar skill level and learning needs
- Tutorial sessions as part of regular daily schedule
- An individualized learning plan and a record of daily work
- Assessment of student learning style and teaching of student self-advocacy
- Regular contact with classroom teachers and advisors
- Communication with parents by email or phone
- No-fee drop-in assistance at any time, depending on staff availability
- Access to all learning and technology resources of the CAA facility, including study rooms, computers, learning aids and classroom texts